I read this verse last week: 1 Peter 2:17 “Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God.” Like many other verses in the Bible, it’s a good summation of what we are to do everyday for God. I said last week I was going to post ways we can seek God first. Here are three things we can do:
Show proper respect to everyone. God created ALL people and loves ALL people. God does not show favor to white, black, or yellow skin so neither should we. Unfortunately, it is a big problem in society today. Doing research for this post, I found that the US is not alone in it’s problem. Even England, Germany, Russia and Australia have prejudice people. Unfortunately, when God gave us free choice, we made bad choices, and that includes thinking that people of a different color are somehow not worthy of our love and respect. But I have to point out one thing: we all bleed red blood; we all have the same organs in our bodies; we all get our feelings hurt if you call us names. Click To Tweet And no one on this Earth is perfect, white, black or brown skinned. Only God is perfect and that’s why we need Him so much, to forgive our sins, make us perfect again and allow us into Heaven.
Love the family of believers. Well, the first phrase tells us to respect everyone and that includes those that believe the same as we do, go to church with us or even a church down the street or across the world. But I think this especially means if there is someone in the church that has needs like a family whose house has burned down or lost their income, someone who is sick and in the hospital or orphans and widows. A church should take care of them as the Bible instructs us to do. And of course we should pray for one another, I try to do that when God brings someone into my thoughts. I may not be able to do something tangible at that moment but I can certainly pray that God would meet their need through someone else, or perhaps they need emotional support at that moment. I know God is listening and He will be their Rock in times of trouble.
And the last instruction in this verse is to fear God. One Bible dictionary I read said, “two sides of the fear of the Lord: that which produces awe, reverence, and obedience, and that which causes one to cower in dread and terror in anticipation of his displeasure.” I have to admit, during my childhood, I belonged to a church that scared me into believing in God. They made God into a finger-shaking figure in Heaven that would come down and punish me if I didn’t do the right things. Now, I know better and He is also a loving God who doesn't punish people, only shakes His head with sadness when we disappoint Him. Click To TweetKind of like a good father on earth would, He wants us to succeed. But now that I have been a Christian for 26 years, I am more in the other category. I am filled with awe, reverence and thankfulness that He has chosen me to be part of His eternal family. He has chosen me to love and adore and bless with salvation. He has shown me over the years that He is a loving God, He has answered prayers and I have felt His presence when I needed it. That is why I still believe and ‘fear’ God.
I hope you have learned something today, friends and pray that you will go about your day serving God and loving others.
If you need help with your New Year’s Resolution, Steph is a Spiritual Mentor. Contact her at email@example.com for more details. When you are planning your Women’s Ministry calendar for 2018, consider Steph Mounier as a speaker. Go to Steph Speaks Page to find out about her and her topics. Also check out Steph’s books page or Bible journaling page.
I linkup with other Christian bloggers at these sites:
Sunday – Sunday Thoughts,
This blog uses affiliate links and referral links. This comes at no cost to you, but allows us to pay for the running of this site.
Check out this amazing new STUDY BIBLE by Louis Giglio at Amazon called the Jesus Bible: http://amzn.to/2u4cJFh. I’ve used it and it’s a new look at the scriptures.
For bloggers like me who are not sure what to do with your email list (this is an awesome instructions book!)
Here’s a taste of what you’ll learn:
- How to create a plan for emailing your readers that makes youmore money with less work!
- The answer to “how often should I email and what in the world do I say?”
- How and when to mention your product in a welcome sequence (hint: the answer might surprise you!)
- How not to be spammy even if you’re selling in every single email (and 5 ways you might be unintentionally turning off your customers).
- 21 different ways to use email (if you thought email was just for announcing blog posts, you’re in for a treat!)
- 3 surprising and dead-easy ways to add social proof to your emailseven if you don’t have a large following and without having to beg for testimonials.
- The critical pivot you must make that’ll give you instant confidencewhen emailing your list.
- How to write an email in just 15 minutes that your readers will love. No more staring at the keyboard and waiting for inspiration to strike.
- A swipe file with 55 pages of actual emails. Use these emails as inspiration for your own and to see how you can mix and match social proof, calls to action and relationship building in next to no time.
- Need to promote an affiliate offer or even your own book or course? Use the simple outlines and save tons of time writing emails while making more sales!
- The 3 quick things you must absolutely do before sending every email in order to avoid headache and frustration, not to mention lost traffic and sales.
- … plus lots more!